Following on from the mango wraps, the same article in olive February 2004 included a raw mango pickle which looked, um, lively.
- 1 medium green unripe mango, washed
- 1 small head of garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 3 tbsps salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 0.5 tsp hing / asafoetida
- 3 tbsps black mustard seeds, coarsely ground
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds, coarsely ground
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
Cut the mango into small chunks, leaving the peel on, and discard the stone.
Mix everything together and put in a jar in a cool place for about a week. Will keep in the fridge for about another month.
I wouldn't put this in a jar with a metal lid. I suspect it would develop quite a bit of sauce as it matured, and would be sour and crunchy. Totally unlike the cooked sweet mango chutney you can buy, more like the lime pickle end of things. I've got everything in the house except the mango, am tempted to just pop out for a moment …