I bought a tube of good sausagemeat at the farmers' market on Thursday. Today I spread it in the bottom of a square baking dish (it came out about a quarter inch thick). Then I topped it with some slabs of mature cheddar, and spread those with wholegrain mustard. I had a tin of pear halves hanging about, so I put a half a pear in each corner of the dish. Topped the whole lot with a square of ready rolled puff pastry, and baked at gas mark 7 for 40 minutes.
We ate all of it, with some peas, but with some more forethought and some potatoes and other veg, it would have easily served four.
I've been thinking of variations –
- cheese and branston pickle
- a layer of braised red cabbage, maybe with chestnuts
- apple sauce or chunks of apple instead of the pear
- a chunky tomato sauce
- hard boiled eggs
- apricots / dried fruit and maybe some curry powder
- blue cheese and braised celery or chicory
all of them easy to do, easy to make in advance, cheap, filling and tasty.